Setting the standard for nearly 100 years
Founded in 1924, the original club name was Palma Sola Country Club, which was later changed to Bradenton Country Club after the city was renamed Bradenton from Bradentown. Our Palm Tree logo was adopted from the term “Palma Sola”, which means solidarity palm. This palm could be seen and used as navigation for the ships in the early days to sail into the bay, now known as Palma Sola Bay.
February 25, 1924 - A large plot of land was sold by Rhonda Allen of Pennsylvania to A.F. Wyman and E.P. Green. From this purchase, a new organization was formed, the Palma Sola Investment Company. The purpose of the Business was “to improve land, buy, sell or lease. To plat, layout and construct golf courses, drains, etc.”
Donald Ross, a famous golf architect whose golf course designs have withstood the test of time, declared the land was ideal for the purpose of playing golf. He was hired to be the course designer.
November 22, 1944 - The city agreed to continue to maintain the golf course during the war years “for the benefit of tourists and resident golfers." $35K had been raised by local citizens to purchase the golf course and to recondition the clubhouse.
November 26, 1944 - A celebratory golf tournament took place in honor of the purchase of the 18-hole course, clubhouse, and art.
Seven har-tru Tennis Courts were added.
1996-1999 - BCC added Men’s and Lady’s Cardrooms, Locker Rooms renovated, an Administration Wing added to Clubhouse, a complete Fitness Facility was built and the golf course was renovated with new irrigation designed by Ron Garl.
The Bradenton Herald’s People’s Choice Awards named it the Best Private Golf Course in Manatee County
We grew our Racquets Program by adding six brand-new Pickleball Courts.
Acting President at the “Palma Solo Country Club” took full and complete care of adding the clubhouse, kitchen equipment, locker room, bathrooms, furnishing, and in fact the entire operation of the clubhouse.
October 31, 1927 - An Application for Charter for the Bradentown Country Club was filed to change the club’s name to Bradenton Country Club (BCC).
By 1931, the Depression in the United States was worldwide, and by 1935 Social Security became law and Bradenton County Club still held dances, and members played golf for $50 for a season ticket or $1.50 daily.
Early '60s - The pool was reconstructed, enlarged, and added new seating and changing facilities along with a diving board
1965-1967 - The front and back 9 holes of the golf course were completely renovated and we expanded the main Clubhouse.
Clubhouse was renovated.
2001-2004 - BCC added a restaurant to the pool area known today as our Palm Café. A few years later, a brand-new Golf Pro Shop and Cart Barn were built, the Driving Range was renovated and the outside of the Clubhouse was remodeled and our covered Patio was added.
We renovated our pool area to add private cabanas, new playground equipment, outdoor games, and a commercial super slide. We also completely renovated all 18 holes with the help of Tony Jacklin, three-time Major Champion, five-time Ryder Cup Captain and long-time member of BCC. We redid all the greens, fairways, roughs, sand traps, tee boxes, driving range, and took the cart paths back to their original crushed limestone design.